Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

I cannot afford insurance. What am I suppose to do.

edited October 1 in Facts for Employers Posts: 1
I am  self employed  .Family of four   I have no health insurance.  I don't qualify for  gvmt  aid.   There is no way I can afford  this.  So please tell me what I am to do.
Thanked by 1Bob_Moderator

• It's terrifying how many people are in that predicament. I'm a working student and the affordable plans that I'm offered are freakishly unaffordable. I think the easiest way to get insured is to go on unemployment or something.

Kidding aside, you may be able to get cheap plans for your kids. I really hope you find a solution. Good luck!
  • Not to be rude but this is the reason that everyone needs to purchase insurance - and now we actually have ways to do it. Asking the taxpayers to continue to cover you and your family isn't right.  You will need healthcare - your family will need healthcare - and others will pay for that trip to the ER.  Depending on which state you are in there are many choices (unless you are in MS where we have pretty much one choice and it's crappy).

Here is the info on how what qualifies you to not purchase the insurance - if the cost is more than 8% of your income then you don't have to.

I know there are plenty of options at My wife and I signed up for blue cross texas (go figure), and our policy effective 3/1/2014. $269.88 per month
    Follow the links below. You'll be surprised at what you can find
  • That's where the government wants us to be at. Either we pay an arm and a leg or we're out of luck. But I'm sure you can still find something, you just have to do your research and ask around. Good luck to you.
    This is part of the problem with the plan. You make too much for medicaid, and not enough to do it on your own. Still, I believe that there is a plan out there for you and your family. This is the part that I hope they come up with a solution for soon because there are a lot of people in your shoes.
    You need to give us more information, presuming that you're not just a stupid anti-ObamaRomneyHeritageCare troll or some other idiot.  The only way you would not be able to get a tax credit and/or afford a policy is:

(1) You are an illegal alien - in which case I suggest that you start to respect the law and go home.

(2) You have an income of less than 100% of poverty and live in a state with a jagga33 governor/legislater - in which case I suggest that you be more "optimistic" about your income situation and give out the amount of 100% of poverty + $1 (there is - or at least was - a bug in the federal exchange algorithm that did not allow an income of exactly 100% of poverty to get the tax credit); if your income ends up not getting to this level, you will not have to pay back the tax credit

(3) Either you or your spouse that has been offered insurance by his employer, but not for the family; this is an unfortunate crack that needs to be fixed - in this case, I suggest that you or your spouse find a job that does not offer insurance so that you can get the tax subsidy, I would also start voting Democrat so that this and other issues with ObamaRomneyHeritageCare get fixed. 
    I should also say that if your income is above 400% of poverty, then you can afford insurance without a tax credit.