Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

Civics- My Editorial on Against Obamacare

Michael Shoun
P-3
Editorial
Obamacare is one of the new American Health care law. The affordable care act signed in to law in 2010. This is suppose to help people get cheap health insurance. But it doesn’t work that way for everyone like this one lady named Ann. Ann is a senior citizen who sees a number of doctors and depends on a variety of prescription drugs and therapies to stay independent. She worries that Obamacare threatens her access to her doctors, treatments options, and insurance plans. Because when she signed up for Obamacare she could lose her Medicare that she depends on. This is one of the reasons why I think Obamacare is a bad health care plan. Also nearly one-quarter of all seniors rely on Medicare Advantage like Ann, However Obamacare makes such deep cuts to that program that half of those covered will no longer be able to keep their coverage they have had. Now I just think that is wrong. Its pretty much saying Obama is taking away their health insurance and making them sign with  new health care plan but it wont help them with the coverages they need because most of them depend on Medicare. So with the Obamacare websites that have been horrible. No one has been able to sign up because they aren’t working and by January first if you aren’t signed up with a health insurance you will be fined. In Hawaii the Obamacare exchange was so bad that the entire site has been taken down. There has also been surveys that say about 90% of the people who tried to sign up for the new Obamacare were not able to sign up for some reason. So that is not really helping people if they have to sign up by January first or they will be fined. In Iowa their has been a grand total of five people who have signed up for Obamacare. I think five whole people in a state is bad. The government should look at that and understand that no one wants this. Plus in order to get the money to insure tens of millions there are new taxes mostly on high-earners. The taxes that may effect you directly are the individual mandate and employer mandate. So everyone is going to have to pay more money on their taxes to help this new law. I don’t think they should do that. They should just drop this and start trying to get America out of debt because we are 16 trillion dollars in the whole. They should focus on that right now then maybe in a couple years come back to this. Because right now it is just not working. Obamacare will be repealed well in advance of the 2014 elections. So hopefully the Senate votes to shutdown this act so we can try and make America better by trying to get out of debt and get our unemployment rate up and get people jobs here in America.

Thanked by 1Bob_Moderator

Comments

Hi Micheal-

Thanks for posting.  You are a bit confused however.  No one with Medicare is supposed to apply for insurance under the ACA.  The Medicare Advantage plans you mention are slightly different, and I have heard that the premiums for these plans are increasing, but those prices are set by the insurance companies selling the policies.  I do not believe that the exchanges offer these types of supplemental insurance policies.  While I agree with you the senate needs to work to get out of debt and get our unemployment rate DOWN (I think you mean), the ACA has no chance to be repealed before the 2014 elections, dispite the Republicans 50-plus attempts to do so.....

Thanked by 1Bob_Moderator
  • I don't understand what Obamacare has to do with unemployment. If anything, it has helped the unemployment rate by employing people to sign others up for a plan. Also, why was Ann signing up for Obamacare if she already had medicaid? I don't understand that. 
  • It's all a big mess. I don't see it getting any better!
  • Well this is very interesting and very well written, so congrats there.  I am still not really sure what my stance is on the whole matter, but I definitely like seeing people articulate their positions well and not just rely on throwing random facts out there or say that government cannot do anything.  I enjoyed this, and thank you for sharing.