Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

Obamacare for a new immigrant!

Hi
My brother is a new immigrant (green card holder) for less than 5 years. Because he is a new immigrant for less than 5 years, he isn't eligible for medicaid or any state insurance in New Jersey. I know to get obamacare he has to show his income. He has been only for one month in the US and hasn't been working and therefore no income yet and he lives with me. Does anyone know what do we do about the income requirement to apply for Obamacare?
Thank you,

Comments

• One of the Qualifying Life Events for Obamacare is a change in citizenship status.  Since your brother became a permanent residence, he may be eligible under this rule.  I recommend talking to a qualified insurance broker/Obamacare "Navigator" in your area as they can help you determine if you have a qualifying life event, help you determine your income eligibiilty, and help you sign-up.  They receive a monthly commission from your premium for helping you sign-up but it doesn't cost you anymore, so it's a win-win and you get the knowledgeable help you need (or I know I need!).

Best regards,
    Bob
  • Get him a job and then go from there. There's nothing else you really can do if he doesn't qualify for even Medicaid. He has to start working.