Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

Am I doing it wrong?

edited August 2015 in Obamacare Facts about State Exchanges Posts: 24
I have been unemployed and in a position that prevented me from getting health insurance. I get what is called Safety Net. It covers me at the clinic and health department. So I wasn't really worried about it. I am now in a position to be able to afford some, and would love to be able to go to an actual general practitioner. I realize it's August, but thought since I had a change in income I might be able to get a policy for a price I can afford. I barely make enough to scrape by right now. When I went to the market place the cheapest insurance I could afford here in Tennessee was $230 a month. Thats 50$ more than my car payment! Its only 50$ less than my house payment. I can't afford that. I would be better off paying for the doctor visits out of pocket. Am I missing something important? Will it get cheaper when enrollment is opened back up?

Answers

• You are not alone here.  When I was unemployed and was browsing the plans were pretty doable, but the minute that I reported having an income that was certainly not the case.  It was like you found, around $200 for a plan, and that is expensive!  It is so frustrating, especially because my employer is garbage and they offer the worst package I have ever seen from a company.  Oh well, that is my problem though, but it really is unfortunate that it works like this.  Thanks for sharing.