Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

pre existing conditions

Does a person with pre existing condition need to "sign up October 1, 2013?

Answers

• Hi @bobobill:

The first open enrollment period will last from October 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014.  So, you are not required to sign-up exactly on October 1st, i.e. you can sign-up anytime between those dates.  

Note that individuals without any healthcare coverage will be required to pay a fine when filing taxes for 2014 tax year.  The fine is $95 or 1% of your income as shown on your taxes, whichever is greater.  The fines go up in 2015 and 2016.  Certain individuals are exempt from the individual mandate.  I've attached a helpful document that provides more details about the Individual Mandate.

If you already have coverage through an Employer plan that you can keep for 2014, i.e. your employer is still offering a qualified plan for 2014, then you are not required to sign-up as an individual. 

Comments from others?

Thanks for contributing!