Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

State not expanding Medicaid - under 133% of FPL...what happens to me?

For years I have been on SSDI and been blessed to have Medicare (I have Multiple Sclerosis).  The SSA is really trying to throw people off SSDI and because my symptoms change daily and I'm in a review status I'm afraid they are going to take away my SSDI.  If so, I lose my Medicare (I am 48 years old).  I thought that with ObamaCare I would have the option of expanded Medicaid (my line 37 on 2012 taxes was just under 9000.00).  Our Governor, purely based on politics, will not accept the expansion.  I don't qualify for Medicaid now because I have no children - and we won't be expanding Medicaid with Obamacare.  However, with what I am reading (and the various calculators) it appears that anyone who is below the 133% of FPL won't be eligible for premium subsidies and therefore will have no options.

I'm terrified by this - and can't understand how our government could let this happen to people that are on the margins.  Is there any good news, perhaps I am reading this wrong?

One other thing, I am a small business owner so I wonder how that effects my possible options?

Thanks for any help with this!

Barri
Thanked by 1Bob_Moderator

Answers

• Hi Barri:

We have not heard about the administration trying to throw people off of SSDI as a result of the Affordable Care Act.  Comments from others out there?  Has anyone else heard this rumor?
    I'm in Indiana which is not expanding Medicaid. My job offers me no insurance and make $10,000 a year. What happens to me?
  • Hi @LauraH

I recommend you first check your coverage options at http://healthcare.gov to see how much of a subsidy you'll receive if you sign-up for one of the ObamaCare plans offered in Indiana.  Next, I recommend talking to a healthcare insurance broker in your area that has been following the law and associated changes to see what they recommend.  Finally, if you have an accountant that does your taxes I recommend seeing if they have any advice.

Thanks for sharing your situation and please keep us updated on your outcome.
    write all of the politicians in your state and complain about this. The federal government was going to pay for most if not all of the first couple years, so it is a huge loss to your state. It is merely a political move. Hopefully the federal government figures out a way around this eventually. People like you really need this. Another option you may look into (not easy with your salary) is potentially moving to a state that has it.
  • There is a complete lack of correlation between what HealthCare.Gov prints on there guidelines and the truth.
    If you try to purchase through the Marketplace and you live in Florida you will not get any premium credits if your income is not above 133% of the FPL
    But if you read the following official guide line taken from Healthcare.gov it states 100%:

If your state isn’t expanding Medicaid for January 1, 2014

If your income is more than 100% of the federal poverty level -- about $11,500 a year as a single person or about $23,500 for a family of 4 -- you will be able to buy a private health insurance plan in the Marketplace and may get lower costs based on your household size and income.

Who do we trust at this point?