Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

somewhat disabled person in the state of GA. trying to work, need help

i am a 31 yo female in Georgia with a connective tissue disorder/peripheral neuropathy in both hands. i work part-time but i am about to leave my employer to be a self-employed part-time consultant and will have to buy insurance through obamacare.

the cheapest plan on healthcare.gov is $181 dollars.  through my employer i made roughly 25k per year but i imagine it will go down to about 15k if i am self-employed.

i am eligible for "tax credits" but i am confused because i NEVER owe the irs money so a tax credit would not help me, correct?

any advice appreciated.  i am TRYING to work and it feels like i am being punished for doing so.  thanks.

• I believe tax credits work by either reducing your income, so you are liable for less tax, or counts as tax paid.  Your refund might be larger...at least that is how I think the tax credit works!