Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

Submit Your Vote in our Poll: Will ObamaCare increase or decrease the cost of health insurance?

edited November 2016 in Obamacare Debates and Opinions Posts: 46
Submit your vote below (you must be logged in to vote):
rz3300
Poll
  1. Do you think ObamaCare is going to increase or decrease the cost of health insurance overall?21 votes
    1. Decrease
        9.52%
    2. Increase
      71.43%
    3. Do not know
      19.05%
Tagged:

Comments

• ErcErc
    The biggest problem with Mr. Obama is he doesn't know anything about insurance.I studied insurance.If every one is forced to have insurance the premiums would be much lower.Insurance is based on volume.Now, as far as state programs.There are already charity care programs for low income people for hospitaliztion.John F Kennedy put this program in place in the 1960's.It doesn't cover medicine from a pharmacy, but does include hospitalization.I just wish Mr. Obama would hire someone that knows something about insurance.He names this after himself and doesn,t know anything about insurance!
  • Hi @Erc:

Thanks for your post and viewpoints.  Comments from others?

Bob
    Thanked by 1Health_and_Gov
    the new Obamacare tax hikes started January 1, 2013 and should run
    about a net $1 trillion increase over the next decade.  It is not at all
    clear that these taxes will cut spending on healthcare or even slow the growth
    There are too many variables to say anything definitive yet... Time will tell
  • WcmWcm

Insurance premiums ( what you pay for the insurance ) is based on expenses. The actual incurred expenses of heath care provided and the expense to collect the premiums and pay the bills.

The number of those insured can increase the total cost or possibly reduce the per insured cost.

If you have 1,000 insured people and each spent $2,000 per year in health care you would have an average expense of $ 2,000 Plus the cost to collect and pay the premiums and bills.

If you have 100,000 insured people and each spent $20,000 per year in health care you would charge that group ten times as much as the first group.

The number insured is not nearly as important to the per person cost as how much each person spends.

Doctors and hospitals will not charge less just because more people request services. The more people see doctors the more tests will be run. There will still be a huge number of uninsured. Just look at how many drivers drive without auto insurance and the police and DMV are looking for uninsured drivers...

I believe many aspects of our new healthcare system will drive the volume of Heath care and the cost of health care up substantially .

I do not believe much of the new affordable health care law will encourage costs to decline.
  • By limiting the profit margin for insurance company's and increasing the number of insured, basic economics tells us, by simple mathematics, costs of premiums will decrease.
    Secondly, the removal of pre-existing conditions will reduce the amount one pays out of pocket. Most company's pre Obamacare would require a 90 day probationary period before insurance was offered and if one went without coverage for more than 62 days they fell into the pre-existing clause. There is no synergy with this. Now having that removed it will reduce the anxiety associated with the whole process therefore reducing the amount of stress put on the population reducing the visits and medications.
  • The biggest fighters against Obamacare are hiding. They are the insurance companies. Makes you wonder why? Could it be that the insurance companies are now forced to pay out a percent of what profits they take in back to their customers.
     I think eventually insurance prices will go down as there will now be more competition. Maybe not hospital and doctor bills but the insurance companies would have to pay most of that.

By the way BobMod (giggle cute name), Obama didn't name the affordable care act after himself. The Republicans named it that as a smear against AFCA. To try and discourage people from liking it. The name was not so offensive as the Repub's thought it would be and it stuck and will go forward from now on known as Obamacare.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obamacare#Term_.22Obamacare.22
    "The term "Obamacare" was originally coined by opponents of the
    Affordable Care Act as a pejorative (
    having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect)
    term for the law. The term was first
    put in print in March 2007 when healthcare lobbyist Jeanne Schulte
    Scott penned it in a health industry journal"

• I found this link to apply for Obamacare http://bit.ly/ObamaCareApplication
  • I went to apply but the costs were way too much. I'm a working college student and I would need another part time job just to cover it. Insurance through school is way cheaper but even that is too expensive. 

The Affordable Care Act was rushed and poorly thought out. He wouldn't let ppl even look at it before it was released; before getting elected he also talked about having more transparency in government. I voted for him with high hopes and I (even though one vote isn't that big of a deal) regret it quite badly. Everyone makes mistakes but it sucks when other people have to pay for yours. After this term ppl will blame him for a lot but they should really blame themselves for electing a radical.
    Thanked by 1Bob_Moderator
    The ACA includes a number of "incentives", often tied to Medicare and Medicaid, that may indeed lead to decreased costs in Healthcare.  For instance, Medical Home models are encouraged.  Electronic Health Records to decrease errors and increase availability of health historys in an emergent situation might be another example.  The focus on technology-for example, for in-home monitoring of chronic conditions, or availability of world class medical expertise at the bedside in minutes in even the most remote settings to improve outcomes and decrease costs, in my opinion will bring costs down.  The death of fee for service with an increased emphasis on population health is another such example.  Right now, it it wide open, wild west style, in healthcare models for delivery of care and where it will shake out in a few years may be anyone's guess, but we have an actual shot at decreasing medical care costs both in terms of GDP and per capita costs.  However, even more exciting is the possibility of bringing our healthcare system into competition with other developed nations!  No more last among all is a goal the US should be proud of....
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 34
    The biggest problem with Mr. Obama is he doesn't know anything about insurance.I studied insurance.If every one is forced to have insurance the premiums would be much lower.Insurance is based on volume.Now, as far as state programs.There are already charity care programs for low income people for hospitaliztion.John F Kennedy put this program in place in the 1960's.It doesn't cover medicine from a pharmacy, but does include hospitalization.I just wish Mr. Obama would hire someone that knows something about insurance.He names this after himself and doesn,t know anything about insurance!
    That is totally incorrect. I remember the days before people were forced to own auto insurance. You could easily have gotten full coverage on a car for $50 a month. After states forced liability coverage on drivers, it is difficult to get just liability (which was a small percentage of full coverage) for $50.

Let's suppose an analogy: Let's say a law was passed that everyone had to eat at McDonald's. By your reasoning, a Big Mac would decrease in price. I'll bet it would not. If people are forced to buy something, there is no incentive for prices to be lowered.

Furthermore, I see this "healthcare" system as a tax on lower income people to subsidize the middle class. If you look at the policies that lower income individuals can afford, they have deductibles of over $6000. Mine is $6300. This means I'll be paying each month for something I will never, can never use. This may come as a surprise to you rich folk, but most people don't have an extra $6000 in the cookie jar to pay for their medical costs. This is why we're here in the first place. Suddenly passing a law that forces people to pay something for nothing is not going to fix that. 

Insurance premiums ( what you pay for the insurance ) is based on expenses. The actual incurred expenses of heath care provided and the expense to collect the premiums and pay the bills.

The number of those insured can increase the total cost or possibly reduce the per insured cost.

If you have 1,000 insured people and each spent $2,000 per year in health care you would have an average expense of $ 2,000 Plus the cost to collect and pay the premiums and bills.

If you have 100,000 insured people and each spent $20,000 per year in health care you would charge that group ten times as much as the first group.

The number insured is not nearly as important to the per person cost as how much each person spends.

Doctors and hospitals will not charge less just because more people request services. The more people see doctors the more tests will be run. There will still be a huge number of uninsured. Just look at how many drivers drive without auto insurance and the police and DMV are looking for uninsured drivers...

I believe many aspects of our new healthcare system will drive the volume of Heath care and the cost of health care up substantially .

I do not believe much of the new affordable health care law will encourage costs to decline.
    The biggest fighters against Obamacare are hiding. They are the insurance companies. Makes you wonder why? Could it be that the insurance companies are now forced to pay out a percent of what profits they take in back to their customers.
     I think eventually insurance prices will go down as there will now be more competition. Maybe not hospital and doctor bills but the insurance companies would have to pay most of that.

By the way BobMod (giggle cute name), Obama didn't name the affordable care act after himself. The Republicans named it that as a smear against AFCA. To try and discourage people from liking it. The name was not so offensive as the Repub's thought it would be and it stuck and will go forward from now on known as Obamacare.
    The biggest fighters against Obamacare are hiding. They are the insurance companies. Makes you wonder why? Could it be that the insurance companies are now forced to pay out a percent of what profits they take in back to their customers.

Where do you get the information that "the biggest fighters against Obama Care are hiding, they are insurance companies"? I don't see any law claiming that Obama Care insurance companies have to be mutual insurance companies.Only a mutual insurance company has it's policy owners as a part owner of the company.

Barac Obama takes bribes from these insurance companies.He should be impeached.Why else would he tax the middle class and give that money to billion dollar insurance companies.

The lowest plan I was quoted on : $128 a month with a $2000 a year deductible. Who the hell spend $2000 a year on health expenses!  Maybe if I was terminally ill. Then how would I go to work and pay for my own insurance if I'm that ill? Insurance companies are raping us!

Barac Obama waited until his last term to screw us!  Remember Ronald Reagan "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall". 2014" Mr. Obama tear down this Nazi healthcare plan" !
    I'm in the lower-income bracket and Obama is costing me about $12000 per year. I calculate this based on the fact that I am being forced to buy insurance and the lowest possible plan I can choose is $478 per month with a $6300 deductible. Since in order to make use of this "healthcare", I must pay out $5736 in annual premiums as well as $6300 in deductibles, amounting to about $12,000 per year. This is about 55% of my take-home income.

Thanks, Mr. Obama!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 34
    Where do you get the information that "the biggest fighters against Obama Care are hiding, they are insurance companies"? I don't see any law claiming that Obama Care insurance companies have to be mutual insurance companies.Only a mutual insurance company has it's policy owners as a part owner of the company.

Barac Obama takes bribes from these insurance companies.He should be impeached.Why else would he tax the middle class and give that money to billion dollar insurance companies.

The lowest plan I was quoted on : $128 a month with a $2000 a year deductible. Who the hell spend $2000 a year on health expenses!  Maybe if I was terminally ill. Then how would I go to work and pay for my own insurance if I'm that ill? Insurance companies are raping us!

Barac Obama waited until his last term to screw us!  Remember Ronald Reagan "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall". 2014" Mr. Obama tear down this Nazi healthcare plan" !
    Lucky you.  My lowest quote was $478 per month with a $6300 deductible. I would have to pay out 55% of my annual income to ever begin to use this. I am relatively healthy, do not smoke or drink, have never been hospitalized, don't go to doctors for anything.

That's like saying that if everyone were forced to eat at McDonald's, then Big Macs would go down in price. Quite the opposite. When you've got a captive audience, the tendency is to increase prices. It's the same reason people price gouge during a crisis like a natural disaster. They know people have little choice.

Auto insurance skyrocketed when it became mandatory to have it. So will health insurance.

• Since my insurance was cancelled in December 2013, I think we all know why, I have chose not to purchase insurance for me or my family of 5. To me you would be insane to pay the premiums for such a high dedectable, but at least I am free make that choice, for now. Instead I have put the amount of my old premium ($500) in the bank every month. I have saved nearly $10K to date. It seemed to be the only logical option. Is anyone else doing this? At least when they finally figure a way to force you to buy these rediculous policies I may be able to pay deductibles.
  • We're definitely going to see an increase in insurance company mergers. The amount of competition in the marketplace will decrease as companies form cartels "so they can cover everyone". This is the perfect time to start pursuing anti-trust cases against the insurance companies.
  • It's a fact that it will increase the cost of health care. Everyone is in a bind. Hopefully they'll keep Medicaid around, but who wants to be on that? Not many people.
  • I just want to point out that Obama did not name this program after himself, the media did. It started off being called the healthcare initiative. As far as the rest of it, I think that this was a good idea in theory, but it just wasn't pulled off the way it was supposed to be. Now everybody has a negative opinion on what was supposed to be something positive originally.
  • From my personal experience, Obama care has made my premiums go up the last two years.  I unfortunately have been forced to get different insurance. The coverage is much worse and the premium is twice the price.  Obamacare has made it more difficult for many Americans to get health insurance coverage because the premiums have gone up so much, and many individuals do not qualify for financial help with their insurance. 
  • The only reason I think this is going to increase the cost of health care is because it is something that can be monopolized.
  • Understanding that the premiums have gone up, it's to help pay for that health insurance offered for people who have very low income if any at all, and can't afford insurance at all. If you have a problem with this one, you would hate places like Canada. The tax is much higher due to the medical costs, as it's built into the system in Canada. So if premiums bother you now, I wouldn't move to another country. 
    Well I had to go with the I Do Not Know, mostly because I am just not sure about the incentive for people to get the coverage.  The only power is that tax penalty, but I have always assumed that those are pretty easy to avoid and that they are not that useful of a policy tool.  That said, though, I think that if everything went according to plan, then the health care costs would go down, but then again when you think about insurance rates it gets all muddled.  Things do not usually go according to plan though, so that is why I say I do not know.
  • Speaking from experience, may premium has been increased two years in a row.  I hear commercials on the radio for Obamacare and how your can get insured for as low as $25 dollars a month.  It infuriates me that I am spending a large amount of my income to keep my family covered and it keeps going up, but someone out there is paying $25?! 
    It's been seen and documented that the premiums for Obamacare have been on the rise. Anyone who has been insured through Obamacare from day 1 can tell you that. I've knew many people who now pay much more for Obamacare than what they were previously paying. Now, a couple of years in, insurers through Obamacare are finally getting the data they need to determine what prices they need to set to be sustainable, and the numbers aren't good. I have no doubt that prices will continue to increase.
  • I dont think its going to either increase or decrease the cost of healthcare. I think its just going to end up being another healthcare insurance company. Save average prices. It is not as cheap as they advertise ya know. 
  • I realize this is an old poll. but is it safe to say the cost has definitely gone up? I actually can't afford any of this now. 
  • SkySky
    While the increase may effect myself and husband in the future, without Obamacare, and changes to the income levels for assistance, we would be up sh*t creek. So, for us it is a catch 22. For, without Obamacare, neither of us could even get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions.

I see the primary problem w/the Affordable Health Care act is that it just isn't affordable as has been indicated in the past.  For one thing, while the program forces insurers to provide service to those with pre-existing conditions, we still have the same exact problem, the premiums are more than we can afford, especially living on SS retirement of only a few hundred a month.  As such, some aspects of the program are optimal whereas others are quite detrimental. Fortunately, we are such low income that we now have Universal Health Care provided by a combination of State and Federal resources, though that is something that we are looking to change as soon as I can find a job, or also start receiving SS benefits in approximately two years.  Just my take on the overall program.  Thanks for all your comments, I also indicated "Increase," as I have seen this first hand through others on private coverage at both my primary care clinic and local hospital. Wishing you all the best of health care - I firmly believe that Universal Healthcare for All as provided by Canada and other countries would be a great option for all here in the U.S. - Make no mistake about it, it's the insurance companies, drug companies and private practices that are all keeping this from becoming a reality so there is more than one area which will be effected if/should this ever come to pass.  Cheers!!!!
  • The affordable health care act really hasn't helped many Americans from what I have seen. Being forced to carry insurance alone is ridiculous. I have friends who are paying so much on healthcare premiums that they can't afford to go to the doctor. $400 a month for one person in the household, when the other members either have Medicaid or tribal health coverage. I don't agree with Obamacare one bit. I don't see why Universal Health Care hasn't been implemented here... Obviously, the big companies want to make as much money off of us as possible, but if we weren't shelling out thousands and thousands of dollars a year to pay for something we in all honesty can't even afford we would be able to put the extra money towards good use!
    Obama has even admitted that rates have doubled. They are actually much higher. This was part of his plan. He has always openly stated that he wants a single-payer system like Canada. I suggest that he move there then.

He designed this system hoping it would fail then Americans would demand the government fix it and they would introduce a single-payer system.
    Only $400 a month?  I earn a gross wage of 30k a year and the LOWEST plan offered by their website would cost me well over $12,000 per year BEFORE receiving a single penny of benefit.
    That assumption has obviously been proven false. Most major insurance has doubled or tripled since Obamacare.
    Nearly two years ago since I made that post. It is clear that I was correct.