Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

One spouse offered insurance, the other does not...

Hello good people of OCF!

I have scoured the internet have not been able to find an answer to my question.  So, here we go...

Scenario:
Spouse #1 is being offered, according to the rules, affordable insurance for him/herself (individual premium falls below 9.5%).
Spouse #2 declined health insurance on hire date and therefore is no longer qualified to receive insurance.
They are married, and have one child living in California.

Question:
Spouse #1 is not eligible for premium assistance through Covered California (CC) because that person has access to "affordable" insurance premium.  Since spouse #2 is not offered insurance through the employer, does spouse #2 and child qualify for CC?

Spouse #1 is offered a family premium plan.  Does that make spouse #2 and child ineligible for CC?

My hope is that Spouse #1 can obtain self insurance through the employer, while spouse #2 and child can benefit from lower premium via CC.  In total, if this was to work, it would result in a savings in the range of $434.40-$481.92.

Looking forward to hearing some solid advice.

Thanks in advance!

Thanked by 1Bob_Moderator

Answers

• Can I ask if the spouse without insurance has applied to private insurance or not?