Obamacare Forum on Facebook Obamacare Forum on Google Plus Obamacare Forum on Twitter Obamacare Forum on LinkedIn

Greetings Obamacare Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

ObamaCare Forums are non-partisan. Ask questions, find information, discuss & debate about the Affordable Care Act, and please remember to follow the forum rules. Please do not debate and provide opinions within discussions in the categories for facts. Thank you for helping to keep these forums informative and constructive.

Will individuals without Health Insurance be required to buy ins. under ObamaCare?

If I'm presently unemployed and I do not have health insurance, will I be required to buy ins. under Obamacare?

Comments

Yes, everyone (with a few exceptions show below) age 26 and over will be required to purchase health insurance. There will be a variety of coverage options at different prices. If you don't have coverage, you'll pay a penalty to the IRS.

The penalty will be $95 for individuals/$285 for families or 1% of your annual income, whichever is higher.

The following are except from purchasing health insurance starting in 2014:
    • Undocumented immigrants
    • People of certain religious beliefs
    • Members of Native American tribes
    • Individuals with an income below $9,350
    • Families with a collective income below $18,700
    • Anyone who must pay more than 8 percent of annual income toward insurance after employer contributions
    HooPayz.com
    @HooPayzSays
    Careful with the penalty amounts- although the penalty ("tax") for 2014 is $95, that amount dramatically increases in subsequent years. Moreover, if you don't make more than four times the federal poverty line, you may be eligible for subsidies.
    Thanked by 1Bob_Moderator
  • Yes they have to or there is a penalty. I remember hearing about that many times on the radio right before 2015 began.

• This seems to be the issue that nobody is really sure on.  So far, I have heard that this tax for not having insurance is pretty laughable.  Not at the amount, but more in the ability to dodge it and/or lie about it.  I am not really sure what I think on the whole issue yet, but I would say that we might see some of these legal issues changed here pretty soon.  We shall see though, I guess.
  • Technically, yes, your suppose to. If you do not have insurance, thats why the provide obamacare. Yet, the "catch" is, its still not all that cheap!! For me alone, was over $100 a month. Im sorry, but I cant add that in my budget, especially since I never go to the doctor.